Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Wish You Were Here

Welcome to the Found Adventures Project! I find old postcards in thrift stores, on the sidewalk, garage sales, etc. and make them into slim wallets. They range from mundane to racist to adorable.



Here are a few of my favorites:

--Austria to Berkeley 1979:
Dear David,

This postcard of the Raggaschlucht. It is a lot narrower and a lot more exciting than the Tscheppaschlucht. The walk-ways feel flimsy and literally hang on to the side of the cliff. You wouldn’t have a chance if you fell into the water. You can see how the walkways look like matchsticks. We went to a doll museum they had about 300 material made (not plastic) dolls but not just dolls that eat and piss for kids all of them were dressed in miniature clothes.

Your Friend,
Anthony

--Italy to San Francisco Aug 8, 1985
Dear Randy,

Athens was HOT! Went to the Acropolis, National Archeological Museum & had an authentic Greek feast complete & dinner & dancing. Plydra was especially beautiful- donkeys are the only means of transportation. Delphi was exceptional. We took the “love Boat” to Pompeii. We’re now in Italy. Saw the Vatican. Florence was a shopper’s paradise. We’re now headed for Venice. Next stop is Austria. Hope you’re not working too hard…

Marion


--Gainesville, Florida to Rochester, NY April 19,1990
Dear Grandma,

Hi! How are you? good here. I’m here in Ocala, Florida. We went to Jacksonville for 3 days too. The werather’s been great except for the last 3 day. It rained today when we went to Silver Springs- but it was still great. It’s like a jungle there- lots of gators & monkeys. I hope you had a great Easter. Take care grandma!

Love,
Michelle
ps. Lots of nice looking men on Jacksonville beach!!!


--Richmond, Virginia to San Francisco Aug 27, 1985
Hi Fred,

Just a note to tell you I got your package. I love it. Really sorry we couldn’t get up there. Hopefully next year when I have more than one week vacation. Went to Berkley Plantation to see how they use to live in 1700. Went to Jamestown festival. Saw how the Indians lived & settlers. So primitive, all they had was grass huts. Must of been boring. Cant’ imagine anything like that today. I called Sat. 7:00AM nobody home. Well take care.

Love,
MaryAnn & Bob

--Bali, Indonesia to Mill Valley, CA Dec 9
Dear Sharon,

I can’t say I witnessed this or any other ceremony, but Indonesia has been a heady mix. Here at the beach in Bali it’s full-on clash between Euro-playground & 3rd world. So many beautiful friendly face, but so much fawning, selling & begging. It’s a little hard being a “1st class” traveler. The band I’m with is largely boys looking for girls. Actually I’m’ having a pretty good time but

--Manila, Philippines to Berkeley April 30

Nice to get your note here the other day. We’ll try & change our flight (?) when we get in to L.A. – will call you about it. We do want to see Art & Alice- Perhaps we’ll rent a car (??) our days there & drive around a bit- we’ll see what’s easiest for all. Manila is hot but not too humid or dry- visited this volcano area this am. Lots to tell you about- all going well.

Love,
Phil


--Thailand to San Francisco Dec 23, 1985
My Friends,

We arrived in Bangkok. An amazing place, hot, humid, full of architecture so exotic & beautiful I can barely believe I’m seeing it. We are staying now with a thai friend of mine who is wining & dining us. Traveling through the 3rd world is more stressful & slow than I thought so we plan to only visit Thailand. I had a dream that hospice folded & Martha came to give me the news. Hope it’s not true.

Love,
Amy
P.S. I’m rooting for you Joyce! My bet is Dec. 17’. 8lbs 2oz.

--Zagora, Morocco to Corte Madera, California
Dear Bette,

Sorry not to phone you before I left- got in a bit of a rush. All well here. > chase this card for you. Time has gone on since last writing- headed N. to Fes; both of us anxious to get home to our artwork. Mom is god damn hassle. Home sooner- until give you a kizz- home middle of May.

xxxx
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment